Recovering from Covid can make one feel exhausted and tired. The recovery takes anywhere from two weeks to over a month. Many patients in recovery report post covid symptoms like sore throat, fatigue, body ache, cough, etc. A holistic approach has to be taken to make follow-up care and wellbeing possible for Covid 19 recovering patients.
The Government of India and the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare have taken out a list of recommendations for successful post covid care and recovery. Let’s explore them.
- At an individual level, the patient, after recovery, should continue to follow Covid 19 appropriate precautions, including wearing a mask, maintaining 6 feet distance, and performing hand and respiratory hygiene.
- One should hydrate well and consume liquids like warm soup, green tea, etc. Consuming a well-balanced, freshly cooked meal, including nuts, fruits, and vegetables, is recommended.
- If health permits, one can start participating in household work and regular chores. Professional work or any other activity that demands physical exertion should resume in a graded manner.
- One can start mild to moderate exercises like yoga, meditation, and pranayama. Exercises help blood and oxygen circulation and help the body detoxify.
- Breathing exercises prescribed by the treating doctor should continue well into post covid care recovery. Morning and evening walks at a comfortable pace can be resumed.
- The body can heal well when it is well-rested. Over eight hours of sleep is essential for recovery. One can also look at relaxation techniques like Tai chi, Aromatherapy, Music therapy, Art therapy, mental imagery relaxation, and mindful meditation.
- One should avoid consuming alcohol and tobacco completely. Drinking alcohol provides no nutritious values and can retard the recovery process.
- Medications advised by the doctor should continue as per schedule. If one is taking medicines for comorbidities, one must inform the doctor to avoid any prescription interaction.
- It is advisable that even after 10 - 14 days after covid, one should continue self-help monitoring of body temperature, blood pressure, oxygen level (using pulse oximeter), and sugar levels (for diabetic patients).
- Even after a negative lab test, some symptoms like dry cough or sore throat may persist. One can do warm saline gargles and steam inhalation to improve the symptoms. Cough medicine can be taken if it is recommended by the consulting doctor.
- One must keep note of post covid symptoms or early warning signs like high body temperature, breathlessness, SPO2 less than 95%, focal weakness, the onset of confusion, and unexplained chest pain.
- A patient who is recovering from Covid should consult with their doctor in case they have any comorbidities. One should get lab tests under a doctor’s guidance to check if Covid has left an impact on other organs like the heart, kidneys, or liver.
- After one and a half months from a positive diagnosis, one can get vaccinated. Vaccination against Covid will form antibodies and provide the required immunity to fight the viral infection if it happens again.
It is essential to rest well, drink plenty of clear fluids, have a healthy, balanced diet, and recuperate at the speed one is comfortable. In the case of unwanted post covid symptoms, one should contact their doctor or care coach for support. Remember, post covid care is only possible when individuals take it on themselves to get better and stay healthy.
For information regarding DayToDay Health’s Covid Isolation program, contact at 08048165558 or https://bit.ly/2Q8FxNL